Benefits of Exercise During Menopause
By doing exercise during this stage of life, you could enjoy many benefits.
Menopause commonly occurs in women between 45 and 55 years old, and while 25% of women won’t experience any symptoms, the other 75% most likely will. Some of these symptoms can include hot flushes, anxiety, irritability, forgetfulness, and disturbances in sleep patterns.
The recommended thing during the menopause is to go to the doctor first to do a checkup and advise us on the most suggested exercise routine. But it is advisable:
• Stretch your muscles for at least 10 minutes before and after any activity to avoid injury.
• Do aerobic exercises that help you lose weight and improve your fitness. These exercises include walking, running, swimming or riding a bike.
• Anaerobic exercises to increase tone and muscle mass. A trainer should supervise these exercises, and we highlight the lifting of weights, bars, etc.
By doing exercise during this stage of life, you could enjoy the following benefits:
– Keeps You With An Adequate Weight.
During the menopause, women gain weight because fat accumulates and there is a change in the distribution of it, which is primarily set in the abdominal area. To maintain proper body mass index and avoid those unsightly and unhealthy love handle, you need to compensate with a balanced diet and exercise regularly. Walking at a fast pace for 30 minutes a day may be enough to maintain your ideal weight and even help you lose weight when needed.
– Helps You With Osteoporosis
The loss of bone mass is accentuated during menopause due to the reduction in the number of estrogens. To decrease this effect, walking can have a positive impact because it increases bone mass and reduces the risk of fractures. Resistance exercises, such as lifting weights, rowing machines, and stretching elastic bands, contribute to increased muscle mass and also promote bone health.
– It Is Beneficial For The Cardiovascular System
Exercise improves blood circulation and venous return, lowers blood pressure, and increases HDL (good) cholesterol levels while lowering LDL (bad) cholesterol. All this contribute to a lower risk of developing cardiovascular diseases, such as stroke or myocardial infarction.
– Improves Your Lung Capacity
By increasing lung capacity, the organs of the body receive more oxygenation, and their functions are optimised. Practicing exercise, along with proper hydration, improves the appearance of the skin. It also facilitates intestinal mobility and reduces insulin resistance, which supposes a better control of diabetes mellitus.
– Influences Positively In Your Mood
When doing physical activity, your body releases endorphins, hormones that secrete the brain naturally, and that produce a sense of joy and well-being. In this way, exercise is protective action against depression, anxiety disorders, stress, irritability, decreased libido.
– Improves Your Sleep
Insomnia is another of the discomforts associated with menopause. Exercise increases the production of melatonin, a hormone involved in the regulation of sleep-wake patterns. However, it is not advisable to play sports just before going to bed because it could make sleep difficult. It is best to do this in the morning or, if this is not possible, at least two to three hours before bedtime.
– Improves Coordination and Agility
A daily exercise routine increases the ability of coordination, reflexes and agility, which prevents falls and improves physical performance in all walks of life.
Physical activity is beneficial in every stage of our lives. It improves our fitness, helps to lose weight, and keeps our hearts healthy. Getting physical during and after menopause also has the added benefit of helping to offset disease, and it also helps to reduce menopausal symptoms such as stress, anxiety, and depression.